Myblueflash.blogspot.com

We have one life to really live here now and love here now... let's find out the best of 'what, who, where, and how'...


Friday, April 16, 2010

Homeward Bound....You Bet Your Ash!

I knew there was something special about this UAL Pilot.  I watched him speak in native English to the gate personnel at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam just prior to boarding my homeward flight yesterday from Europe.
Then he spoke perfect Nederlands also to some of the on-ground personnel.  Oh well, that's what pilots are...amazingly bright and adept professionals. 

The flight boarded fast, and I noticed we actually left the gate at pushback 10 minutes before normal.  Then as I was settling into my chair after takeoff, I watched in amazement as United 909 flew a fast circle up and East over Amsterdam, then turning South.  Climbing fast in not your ordinary takeoff...like we were being chased.  We were!  After more than an hour we were heading into southern France.  I sort of had an idea of what was happening, but when I walked with this pilot after we landed at Chicago O'Hare, I had the chance to ask him about flying this great "southern circle" route...

Yes, indeed, he said, "we just made it out of there"...they were going to close Paris and Schiphol soon and now most of Western Europe is all closed down...I said, "Nice job Captain!"  He smiled and nodded with the satisfied look of a pro doing another day's work...but it was CLEAR!  He wanted to beat that system of volcanic ash heading down from Iceland.  AND we made our on time arrival, what United is proud of these days.  This was a lucky day for me, but not for thousands of other stranded travellers worldwide, now with no clear end in sight...

We are at times able to connect the dots.  You see these were the dots of good luck for me...this was precision, timing, and professional judgment like it is fun to witness...I am sure this senior United Captain is enjoying his role as cultural ambassador, precision professional, and I suggest this is dot connected to the fact that my pilot yesterday was a guy who has been in his career fulfillment for some many many millions of miles, and a worldwide member of what I would call the "Society of Blueflash Professionals"...what else might explain his calmness, his cultural ease, the quickness and deft judgment he showed in leaving early, taking his best route around the big ash cloud, and still rocketing us home on time through the winds and altitude of the North Atlantic.  Homeward bound is a strong force...its great to see this...thanks again, Captain!  It's great to be home...

No comments:

Post a Comment