Myblueflash.blogspot.com

We have one life to really live here now and love here now... let's find out the best of 'what, who, where, and how'...


Thursday, February 25, 2010

From the Cockpit....It's Still Good to Know Your Pilot

On my flight yesterday back home from Asia on my airline of choice United, I learned that one of my favorite things about flying had been cancelled....the Captain's talk from the cockpit with air traffic. Channel 9. Something about the one guy who used it to track his plane's position before tring to light his underware....so we all lose out because of one bad apple....

Looks to me that as we move into the future and as it gets more fragile, we will be seeing the one ruin it for the many...

I used to so enjoy that feature on long flights....the blending of cultures over the global air traffic system..."United 821, cleared for takeoff, Goede Morgen!..." from tower..."United 821, cleared for takeoff, have a nice day, sir"...

I will miss that alot. It will be nearly impossible to bring it back. Too many lawyers, too many insurers, safe seekers....who might be listening after all?!
Gone for good...I may just have to take up flying...I mean flight lessons so I can hear that chatter again..."climb and maintain one-seven thousand"...

I remember when my son was a little guy of four years old, we were about to take-off for Honolulu..the Captain actually let me take a picture of my son with him at his side in the right seat of the Cockpit! Gone forever! I am glad I have that picture!

It is great to hear pilots introduce themselves from the cockpit. Some are minimal...they just say helo. I remember one several years ago on a long non stop San Francisco to Frankfurt. He explained so much about everything over the mike....it was to me so enjoyable....I sent him a note of thanks through the flight attendant....he responded with his business card and a personal note of thanks to me as a cusomer for my loyalty. That was good for a million miles of loyalty from me.

It is good to know your pilot. It is good to know your boss. Your mentor...those who hold your life in their hands, even at safe speeds at safe heights....it is darn good to know your pilot....

No comments:

Post a Comment