Myblueflash.blogspot.com

We have one life to really live here now and love here now... let's find out the best of 'what, who, where, and how'...


Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sprint Laps and Breathless...

I did some sprint laps today in the pool at the fitness center.  I happen to think this is a great way to finish a workout in the pool.  It really blows out all the systems. 

But it is the mental part that is almost the best part.  Everything goes into focus on stroke, speed, breathing, and all out push.  When I do normal laps for cardio and endurance, I get to think about all kinds of cool stuff....but the sprint, there is the clock...there is the focus....there is the dash...

I'm a fan of Olympic swimmers, and a special one is Natalie Coughlin, a member of the womens' US team.  I just like the way she is handling herself as a total athlete and professional, and a spokesperson and a role model.  But,wow, what times she and her teammates are putting up.  They do the 100 meters in less than a minute.  That is without fins!  When I do my all out, with fins, I would be well behind!  I am so amazed at how the best of the best just sail through water.  Their sprint is a fast, fast human dash through water.  Their goal is to be the fastest in human history through water. Mine is to watch them in wonder and just give my best to beat my own time...

But when the sprint is over and you are catching big gulps of air and can savor the time....it is one of the greatest moments.  Watching Natalie and teammates is a thrill....doing it for myself is a truly breathless thrill!

Endurance laps are great.  The sprint is the best more than minute I spend in water!!

No comments:

Post a Comment